Advertising copywriter Job description
Advertising copywriters generally work alongside an art director within the creative department of an advertising, media or full-service agency. They work with client briefs to conceive, develop and produce effective advertising campaigns.
The art director deals mainly with the visual images of the advertising campaign while the copywriter provides the verbal or written ‘copy’. This may include creating slogans, catchphrases, messages and straplines for printed adverts and leaflets. They are also involved in writing text for web advertising, as well as scripts for radio jingles and TV commercials. Copywriters also work with media planners/buyers and the production department to fully develop the advertising campaign.
Advertising copywriters typical work activities
Advertising copywriters often handle several client accounts at the same time, making the job varied and interesting. Typical work activities may include:
- liaising with clients and interpreting their briefs;
- working in account teams;
- developing creative ideas and concepts, often in partnership with the art director;
- presenting ideas to colleagues and clients;
- familiarising themselves with their clients’ products and services, the target audience and their competitors’ activities;
- writing clear, persuasive, original copy;
- updating digital media with snappy, timely content;
- proofreading copy to check spelling and grammar;
- amending, revising or redeveloping adverts or campaigns in response to feedback from the creative director, account team or clients;
- overseeing campaigns through the production stage to completion;
- working on several campaigns at once, sometimes under pressure and often to tight deadlines;
- casting actors for TV and radio work, and listening to voice tapes;
- liaising with production companies, photographers, typographers, designers and printers;
- keeping up to date with popular culture and trends;
- monitoring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns.
via: Advertising copywriter: entry_requirements
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!